I have been taught that when creating characters it is important to remember that no one is either all evil or all good. There is tension within every hero and villain that pulls them between good and bad. As an optimist or realist, I believe that every year holds the same. Even in the darkest times, there is the light of good and blessings to be found. And even in the light, there are shadows that stretch and challenge each of us.
At the end of 2017, I was tired or maybe the better word would be weary. But I wasn’t defeated. I don’t think it was the worst year of my life, in fact, the challenges of 2017 strengthened me and I am satisfied that things are better as I start 2018 than they were when I started 2017. My desire to grow stronger is because I am in a solid place that allows for training. I’m not so weak that I need to be pulled up, rather I’m hoping to build on a strong foundation. This solid place is the result of a year that was good, bad and ugly.
- The good –
- my wonderful family, especially my husband who walked through the fire with me.
- My youngest daughter graduated high school and started college
- I gained a son when my oldest daughter married her high school sweetheart. Joe is a blessing to all of us.
- My Mom visited and is doing well. Her presence is a gift and I’m thankful she is still just a phone call away. We are blessed that Tony’s parents are also close.
- A new job that I love where I work with wonderful people.
- A Bible Study group that reminded me the studying God’s word in fellowship with others is a blessing.
- My therapist has been with me for over 10 years now. She’s seen me through the ugliest parts of my life. I’m thankful she was there when I faced this year.
- Progress with home renovations, my old house is becoming something I love.
- The bad and ugly –
- The physical issue with my hands and neck
- An ugly ending to a job and a couple of weeks of unemployment (but then the new job came quickly. . . )
- Transition from Mom with kids to Mom with adult children – re-inventing isn’t an easy task
- Not as much progress as I wanted in the house, my writing, my weight, my uke skills. . .
When I wrote about feeling tired and weak, maybe it was more that I felt weary after such a busy year. My word is still Stronger/Strength because I want to build on what was started in the ugliness of 2017. And I know that 2018 will be just like 2017, full of blessings and challenges or the good, the bad, and the ugly.